Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Science Cookie Roundup #4



Somehow April slipped by without a science cookie roundup!

How did that happen? That sneaky month just went ahead and ended on me without any warning. Time it seems, just slips by when you've got a lot going on.

Well, better late than never! Right?

Science cookie roundup #4!

This time we have so many terrific cakes that I can barely get away with calling it a "cookie roundup" but I'm going to anyway (because I can).

I baked the cookies pictured above (along with nearly 60 others) this month. I'm not going to go into detail about what they are exactly, since they're for a project that is still in the works. Still, they're my contribution to this month's round up. If you can guess what they are, geek-gold-star for you!

Let's get on to the baking nerdery...

Crissy made the following gorgeous science cake. So pretty that even if you have no idea what it depicts, you can still appreciate its handsome good looks.

"I'm currently a third year grad student focusing on cilia biology. I made this cake last year for one of my labmate's birthdays - it depicts the cross-section of a 9+2 cilium by transmission electron microscopy. I covered the cake in homemade marshmallow fondant, which I also colored and used for the design."


Kim sent me several batches of science themed baked goods, including this beautiful cake.

"The cake a bit more math-related than science, but it seemed right up your alley anyway. It is a normal white cake with basic frosting gone horribly nerdy. It was for an 80's themed birthday party, hence all the colors. Around the outside is the birthday girl's name spelled out in binary (ASCII) and in the middle is an equation for finding the probability of 2 people out of a group of n having the same birthday."

Statistics is very much up my alley. I loved it!

"One is a set of mole-shaped mole-assus cookies spelling out Avagadro's number. I made them for some nerdy boys I know in honor of Mole Day a few years back. The extra dough became some recognizable (and some not-so-recognizable) molecules."






Fellow baker and science lover Andrea made this incredible brain cake!

"Our Neuroscience Club participated in the chocolate festival here at our university so I made this brain cake. I know its not a cookie, but I think it fits right in with all of the science-food fun! Its made of 3 layers of devil's food cake, carved into the dome shape and covered with homemade dyed fondant."




Molecular Biologist Carolyn sent me these mice cookies she made for her lab.

I really find it amusing how biologists love mice cookies, but when I show a biologist a petri dish cookie the general response is: "I can't bring myself to eat that!"

Sure petri dishes smell bad but do the mice really smell much better? I'm digressing here... on to the mice cookies!

Clockwise from top left:
GFP mouse
Dorsal skin chamber with GFP tumor
Cranial window with GFP tumor
Nude mouse (cover your eyes kiddos)


Monica, a former science teacher, sent in these crayfish cookies she made for her son's class (they studied crayfish this year).


I actually have this exact cookie cutter. I used to have a couple of them but I sent one to a friend who claims to be 'allergic' to seafood. I thought it would be a good way to taunt him.

I know, I'm a great friend.

Very cute cookies, Monica.


Marta sent in an absolute wealth of engineering cookies for this month's roundup:



Ohm's law
- Fourier's law (heat conduction)
- Electromagnetic field
- Atom (a classic)
- Organigram (they have some subjects on Management)
- Circle surface (I particularly like this one. So geek).
- Reynolds' number
- Laplace transform
- Integration of the exponential function (which is equal to itself, integration has no effect. It seems to be a maths joke.)
- Feedback
- On/off button



- Binary numbers
- Electronic boards
- BJT transistor (third row, second column)
- Vector addition (third row, forth column)
- Cantilever beam (third row, fifth column)
- Two-spam beam (forth row, fourth column)



I hope I got everyone!

Ever since publishing my email address on here, I've been inundated with spam. Stock tips, male enhancement, cheap prescription drugs, deposed Nigerian royalty with lots of money in need of safe keeping, you name it.

It is making managing my daily emails a little annoying. So if you got lost in the crush and I missed you, send me an email today and I'll edit you in. If you're interested in being in the next science cookie roundup just send me an email to notsohumblepieblog@gmail.com and I'll share your baking nerdery.

If you send me a 419 scam, my bank account routing number is 3304...

27 comments:

  1. I WANT those cookies of the immune system!!!!!!!!! You are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! That brain cake looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the brain cake! That may have to become a birthday standard. I especially like the optic nerve- eye thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fabulous! And I do absolutley love your blood cell cookies. The RBC is especially awesome. I need to jump on this bandwagon and make my own science cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the first cake, I was having trouble conceiving of an entire school of study devoted solely to cilia...and then I read the words "marshmallow fondant."

    I think that's about all my mind can handle in one day. Thank you.

    (PS Love the red blood cell cookie! A perfect cookie shape.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm quite proud of the red blood cell cookies. Creating a 3-D biconcave disk shaped cookie took a bit of trial and error. Then figuring out how to frost without the icing pooling in the center took a few more attempts.

    It was a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ❤ the brain cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The RBC cookies are fantastic!! My nursing classmates would absolutely love them...how did you get the shape?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Took a fairly thick cookie and then SQUISHED the center with a round object the moment it came out of the oven.

    Worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please tell me your yet-to-be-completed project is a cookie model of hematopoiesis!

    Signed,

    Hematopoiesis PhD

    ReplyDelete
  11. What about the almost-star-shaped white blood cells? Did you use a specific mold?

    ReplyDelete
  12. For those cookies I either hand cut them or used a round cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the in-progress project, and the cilia cake. I have to get off my butt and make some science baking myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice eosinophil and granulocyte. =) I work in an immunology lab, I may have to make these for my lab mates.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY!!! Those are beautiful WBC cookies and the red blood cell is awesome! Basophils are my absolute favorite. You don't get to see that many in the laboratory, and when you do it's really bad for the patient.......*sigh* When I get around to making cookies I plan to make the rare "disgruntled" neutrophil.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see a red blood cell, neutrophil, eosinophil, and a basophil!! Lymphocytes, monocytes? Platelets... or are those coming off of a megakaryocyte? Girl you got the differential represented! I'm diggin it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mice, while they smell bad (not as bad as rats) just don't look enough like their cookie representatives to be creepy. Petri dish cookies do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My son graduates in ChemE from MIT next month and if I even had a clue what I could make on a cookie I would do it. Love looking at your culinary experiments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha ha, recognised the erythrocyte and platelets and that's about it...been too long since I went to school :P Great round up, LOOOVE the brain cake and the nude mouse !

    ReplyDelete
  20. So do people actually send you the cookies or just photos?

    If you must put the e-mail in the blog, write it a little more deceptively, like: notsohumblepieblog (AT) gmail (DOT) com

    We know how to figure it out, and it might stop a bot or two...

    ReplyDelete
  21. SouthLakesMom,

    They just send photos. This is a good thing as I have plenty of baked goods to manage around here as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  22. love your blood cell cookies! i came to your archives tonight to look for ideas on frosting cookies. my med school class has our final exams next week, and we've just finished our first system: the blood. i thought bringing a variety of the cells we've been studying, normal and not -- so, some shistocytes and hyper-nucleated neutrophils in with all the normal RBCs, WBCs and platelet -- would be a wonderful way to end the semester. =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. p.s., how DID you manage to ice the erythrocytes without it pooling in the concavity?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Trying to remember now...

    Of all the cookies they were the easiest the make and decorate. Mind you, this is after I figure out how to shape and decorate them.

    The normal outline and flooding technique didn't work, since it pooled. I think I settled on dipping the cookies into fairly thick icing and then smoothing it into the center with a spoon. The icing was still fluid enough to settle into an even surface, but not so fluid that it ran into the center of the cookie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails