Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Herbed Yorkshire Puddings


More holiday eats making their way onto the blog, this time a British import to our Northwest holiday meal: Herbed Yorkshire Puddings. The term "pudding" applied to something resembling a popover tends to confuse most Americans. However, I figure that the whole point of the British food naming scheme was to confuse and frighten foreigners. How else can one explain a 'toad in a hole' or 'spotted dick', right?

Anyway, this is one of the British imports I really love at the table. Another import is the traditional Christmas cracker, something that as a non-drinker I am probably never inebriated enough to enjoy properly. The type you pull, creating a large cloud of sulfur-tinged smoke in your dinning room. Yes, that kind of cracker.

In addition to lung damage, you get a prize, a bad joke and a paper/foil crown to wear throughout dinner. Mother Humble now has a large photo collection of me wearing theses silly crowns and I should probably make an effort to stay on her good side should she decide to blackmail me at a later date.

Let me simplify: Yorkshire puddings GOOD. Ms Humble photographed in silly paper crown BAD.

Good to have that settled, let's get to the puddings:

Herbed Yorkshire Puddings
From Epicurious.com
yield: Makes about 16
6 tablespoons reserved pan drippings from Roast Prime Rib or olive oil
3 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

Finely chop your herbs and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the milk and eggs together. Sift the flour and salt into egg mixture and mix until smooth. Once well blended, stir in the herbs and let the batter stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes (or refrigerate up to 3 hours). Mix once more right before using.


Preheat oven to 450°F. Place 16 standard (1/3 cup) metal muffin cups into the oven to oven heat for 10 minutes. Place 1 teaspoon drippings from your rib roast (or olive oil) in each muffin cup . Return pan to oven until drippings are very hot, about 8 minutes. If it smells a little smokey don't worry, that is normal.

Immediately spoon 2 generous tablespoonfuls batter atop hot drippings in each muffin cup. Bake until the puddings are golden and puffy, about 12 minutes (puddings will sink in center but edges will stay puffy). Serve hot.



17 comments:

  1. I am not putting a roast in my oven at 11:09 pm and going to make yorkshire puddings for breakfast!

    these look amazing...i can't believe it. thanks for the post. also, all the best in the new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look wonderful. yummy. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have a whole collection of silly crown pictures too--they are quite festive!

    these look delicious....trying them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas Crackers are one of my favorite traditions, silly pictures and all. These look super yummy. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i live in yorkshire and yorkshire puddings are the best staple to any sunday lunch =] I will have to try this recipe out never really thought of putting herbs into them before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I remember these when we leave in England for three years. Never made them myself, but may try now. Agree with the confusion of words. My poor daughter thought the only dessert she could get was pudding for awhile as her schoolmates would talk about what they had for pudding. We loved the tradition of Christmas Crackers when living there and we have those silly pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wondered what those were... they sounds so delish and I can't wait to try this recipe!

    Happy New Year and here's to lots more good cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up on a ranch in No. Calif. My grandmother was from England and we had Yorkshire Pudding at least a couple of times a month. I have not had it since I left home some 45 years ago. Thank you for the recipe, I will try it the next time I cook a beef roast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yorkshire puddings are delicious. My family wouldn't dream of having roast beef (or pretty much any other roast dinner) without them. Even though I've been veggie for many years my Mum knows better than to miss me out on the yorkshire puddings! But I've never seen or heard of them with herbs. Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Toad in the Hole is one of my favourites, next time I shall make it with your lovely herbed yorkie pud recipe!

    Now I'm off to polish my monocle and smoke a pipe...and pull all the leftover Christmas crackers, I can't get enough of those jokes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first time I saw a can of spotted dick at Publix I laughed and laughed and bought the can so I could keep laughing! Eventually, I opened the can and ate the spotted dick and it was great! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. MMmmmmmm they are in the oven now and I can't wait to eat them! I did set the smoke alarm off with the olive oil, which scared the $#@! out of my little kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Waving newspapers in front of smoke detecters and scaring small critters is all part of the yorkshire pudding experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well worth it! I tried really REALLY hard not to eat all of them in one day. They were excellent for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love Yorkie puds for breakfast with creamy scrambled egg, looks like this recipe will be delicious for that thanks for passing it on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness. These sound delicious! I can never get Yorkshire Puds to actually work out though. They never rise quite right and normally just end up flat :P I guess I'll have to get practicing so I can make some of these eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  17. omg these look great. im so copying this for sunday!!! thanks!! :P :O)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails